Tuesday, February 06, 2007



FIELD MUSIC "Tones Of Town"
YES "Time And A Word"

My pal Liz is going to have a fit over today's post, but she totally saw it coming
. Hit her Headphones On blog after you read this, she's got some lovely songs to warm you up during this arctic bullshit.

So quickly, as I'm hungry for lunch.... Field Music are a super trio from Sunderland, UK who maintain that they love Squeeze. I think they are prog-rock, Liz disagrees. Not sure how the Brewis brothers feel about that one. They are underrated and are poised to release a fancy new album called "Tones Of Town" soon. If you like your pop with some long division, this one's for you. It's for me too.

Yes are a band that my father got me into by placing a ginormous set of headphones on my head at age 4 and making me listen to Long Distance Runaround until I fell asleep. It never worked. You can make fun of me for having sentimental issues with Yes, but you do have to admit, they stole one of the best band names of all time (please leave your vote for best band name of all time in the comments section, all rights reserved, ahem).

Seperated at birth? You decide. Make up your mind, make up your mind.

FIELD MUSIC CLOSER AT HAND
YES SWEET DREAMS

5 comments:

liz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
liz said...

Oh here we go again... I can't believe you went public with yer Field Music = Yes theory. With the exception of the high harmonies, I still don't hear it.

In my (un-polluted by a youthful Yes obsession... ahem) mind, Field Music are far more dynamic. But you knew I'd say that didn't you?

HK said...

I actually thought some of the album sounded like early Genesis, not any of their wanky stuff, but the more melodic, almost music-hall vibe stuff. Then again, maybe I was just trying to get Joe Wiencis to listen to the album. Anyway, I love Field Music. Can't wait to see them play again.

Anonymous said...

Ok, A) This is the best record of the year, hands down and it's only February. Their first one was good, but this is an absolute quantum leap forward. And B) Hell yes, they evoke Yes and early Genesis and that's part of what makes them so great. Anyone who argues the prog influence instantly loses the argument the moment the synth part in in Give It Lose It Take It comes in. Seriously. But, hey, as you eloquently state, this is NOT a bad thing. Also, as a further aside Working to Work gives me a serious Split Enz/Crowded House feeling. Did they kidnap the brothers Finn on that one or what?

Anonymous said...

Definitely the best band names are:
The The
The Band
Pop Group