Thursday, October 26, 2006


BILLY BRAGG "Don't Try This At Home"

Recently, over at Gorilla Vs. Bear blog, Austin LaRoche volleys up the top 10 saddest songs he's ever heard. Hmmmm. I wondered how my list would compare, because I consider the sad song, amongst the most appealing. There's nothing like feeling like you are going to have a total cry your eyes out festival from just hearing a chord progression mixed with a phrase that hits a little too close to home.

With that in mind, I offer you #10 on my list of the top 10 saddest songs I've ever heard. I've never been an over the top Billy Bragg fan. I own his records, but rarely listen to an entire album. But his highs are very high. "Shirley" with Johnny Marr on guitar, "Remember The Mountain Bed" with Wilco on the Mermaid Avenue sessions, and this little gem from 1991's Don't Try This At Home. See if you can hold back the tears by the time you hear him plead "You were so tall. How could you fall?"

Please feel free to offer up your saddest songs on le comments. I need to find some Kleenex.

TANK PARK SALUTE

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rainbow Connection
Sukiyaki (Original in Japanese)

Anonymous said...

My dad died when I was a teen so this song hits really close to home. "a tree taps on the window pane, that feeling swallows me again", "a pale moon in a sunny sky, death gazes down as pass by, to remind me that I'm but my father's son" This song is like a car crash, it scares but I can't look away (or stop listening). Take care.

Jeff

Unknown said...

My niece died only one day old, and my brother (both of us Bragg fans for years) chose this for her funeral. It is the most beautiful song about the loss of a loved one.

"I closed my eyes and when I looked, your name was in the memorial book. What had become of all the things we'd planned?".