Thursday, October 12, 2006


SOUTH "Adventures In The Underground Journey To The Stars"

How did it get to be October already? I'm still counting on a beach weekend. Guess it's not going to happen. Anyway, Little Elpees is back, sorry, did you miss me?

I'm not one to succumb to hype. It definitely puts me off. But, I am a curious being, like most of us. British bands get loads of hype. Not the kind of hype that puts them over the top in America anymore, but enough for people to throw the names around. How many copies did Arctic Monkeys really sell in the US? Tell me, I wanna know. When press darlings, South, hit my plate, I was full, gorging myself on a diet of soft rock souffles and chocolatey electropop. Little did I know that they could fulfill both needs, I just needed to listen.

And so now I am, and I like, I like. Last year's "Loosen Your Hold" made it on to my girlfriend's iPod (I put it there but barely remembered it) and she always asked, "who's this?". It was catchy, sure, and I could see why she liked it. But 2006's Adventures In The Underground Journey To The Stars is magical. Jangly, peppy, it delivers that Britpop punch you've been waiting for ever since Gene and Marion threatened for the title. It's quirky, and that's what makes it a million times better, than say, Travis.

South bring their angular arena rock to the intimate Union Hall in Park Slope, Friday, October 13 (that's tomorrow). Buy tickets here. I'm heading South for the winter.

SAFETY IN NUMBERS

YOU ARE ONE

No comments: