Thursday, January 25, 2007


DEAN & BRITTA "Back Numbers"

A big big big shoutout to Data Rescue II (Electric Bugaloo) for managing to save 31,000 songs off my failed to mount LaCie 160GB drive. Thing is, once I erased that drive, it was fine. I was panicky that 4 years of burning my cds and lps (and subsequently getting rid of some (trust me I have too much music)) had amounted to zero. So, don't be surprised if there is a flurry of activity in the coming days. Speaking of, it's snowing in Brooklyn!

OK, back to Little Elpees and the post I wanted to make last week when said hard drive went soft. Luna. Hmmm. You knew about Dean Wareham's appreciation for French pop, his penchant for smart without being alecky melodies, the band's driving, almost jam band like performances, but for me, Luna was up and down when it came to listening to complete records. Don't get me wrong, I adored Luna, but let's just say I understand why artists disband fine groups in their prime. They don't want to repeat themselves. That and they are likely in debt, ahem.

That's why I'm thrilled about Dean & Britta. He (and she) can now make completely different records, and they are. This is a candidate for album of the year (I know it's only January, but you have to say these things out loud to remember in December). Back Numbers is filled with Gainsbourg-esque shuffles, girl group ebullience, and some very very wonderful songs. Songs, people, songs. Songs are everything. Unless they're not. Oh, and the vibes on this record, the vibes. No, the actual vibraphone. It's really something.

Listen to Britta belt out "You Turned My Head Around" and tell me if your curiosity isn't completely piqued. Thanks also to Mike Fleming for his good advice on the hard drive meltdown. I learned a valuable lesson. There is no amount of money I shouldn't spend to protect my music. It is the most important thing to me. If you are reluctant to spend 150 clams on a backup drive for your iTunes library, learn from me, do it, right now, baby.

Dean & Britta play Union Hall in Brooklyn tonight, January 25.

YOU TURNED MY HEAD AROUND

No comments: