Thursday, May 25, 2006


THE ALAN COPELAND SINGERS "If Love Comes With It"
ROGER NICHOLS & SMALL CIRCLE OF FRIENDS s/t

It's easy listening day. My head hurts from a night at the Bohemian Beer Hall in Queens and it's all I can handle today. So if you are recovering from a Spaten-induced hangover and feel like an undercooked kielbasa, like me, you are in the right place.

I knew nothing about The Alan Copeland Singers except that it was a mid to late 1960's release on A&M. That's all I needed to know. That, and I paid 99 cents for it at the old record shop in Port Chester, NY (way more to come about that later). I'll pretty much buy anything on a certain label during a certain period, especially if I'd never heard of it. A&M serviced us with some pretty boss easy listening in the 60's. Sandpipers, Herb Alpert, later the Carpenters. I love it. Oh, and I still know nothing about Alan Copeland Singers. If you have info, educate me.

Also, on A&M, Roger Nichols & His Small Circle Of Friends was something I'd been after for years after getting the song "Don't Take Your Time" on a mixtape of lost soft pop. I don't have this on vinyl, it's worth tons of bank. Japan, the country, they like the easy listening too, and they re-issued it on disc. In fact, most of the rare lot of A&M releases have found their way to CD via the Japanese enthusiasm for such things. Oh, but I do have the 7 inch for Snow Queen, so technically I'm not cheating. I don't remember where I got it, I think at a place in Halifax, in with a lot of Susan Jacks singles. Snow Queen, not appropriate for summer, but give me a break, I'm hurtin' here.

I do know that Roger Nichols ended up being a fairly known producer. My lady friend (TPC) would be proud to know he twiddled the knobs on a few Steely Dan releases. I'm not sure what else and I haven't done any homework today. I won't even proof this post. Have you ever been mellow?

FRIDAY FERRIS WHEEL
SNOW QUEEN

PS: Thanks you guys. Yesterday's traffic was the craziest yet. All you zombies made the Hooters post the most popular to date. You're nuts, I'm silly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

woah..i'm drooling on my keyboard..starting listening and dozed off :)

steely dan story: i won the AJA album in a disco dance contest in jr. high. i forced this poor kid who had a crush on me into entering all the dance contests with me, so i could win all the albums. the sad irony was i had a total crush on his older brother who was in a cars cover band.