Tuesday, May 09, 2006


GRAUZONE "Eisbaer b/w Film 2 + Ich Leib Sie"

A very brief post today. This one comes from the stash of my aforementioned stint at a place called Entertainment Outlet (sweet name) in Chicago when I was 19. As part of my hurried education by the store's managers, this Grauzone 12 inch was handed to me and praised as the first real 'industrial' single. After playing the new 12 inch from 1,000 Homo DJs for the 1,000th time, I figured it was worth a shot, with a bonus for the cute polar bear on the cover. Now, I've yet to actually do any research on Grauzone, I will after I post this, and feel free to school me. I don't have a year on when this came out, but I'm pretty sure they were German. Eisbear is a total trip, somewhere between that Martin Hannett/ESG/Factory drum sound and the Slits experimental and nearly fatal saxophone noodling. I probably hadn't dug this out in over 10 years, but it doesn't sound as bad as I thought. It's kinda funny actually, but possibly a room clearer.

EISBEAR

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this song is rad. you're lucky to have it on vinyl. it's impossible to find now...if one pops up on ebay, it's usually upwards of $40. (for the 1981 12" single.)

Anonymous said...

I had everything Grauzone released on 12" (Träume mit mir / Eisbär) and the Grauzone LP. Well, I borrowed them to someone but never received them back. Even now ~20 years later, I really miss these records.