Wednesday, May 03, 2006


THE BATS "How Pop Can You Get?"

Jon Brion is a late bloomer I guess. I've definitely been fascinated with his most recent success, scoring several soundtracks for Hollywood (Eternal Sunshine, I Heart Huckabees) as well as producer (Fiona Apple, Kanye West!), especially after spending something like 20+ years looking for a break. I think of him as a more adaptable Todd Rundgren for our generation. The first time I ever heard the name Jon Brion was when I worked as a junior A&R guy at a big label. He showcased at China Club in NYC with an all-star band, Aimee Mann, Lloyd Cole, who knows who else, I remember little from those days. I did note his unique pop songwriting style. It almost seems that he has this element of prog (King Crimson, Yes) that wants to come out, but the songs end up with Brion's signature chord progressions, when you hear it, you know it's him.

I picked up How Pop Can You Get by a local Connecticut band called the Bats (not the same as the Flying Nun, Kiwi band, the Bats) at Brass City Records in Waterbury, CT in 1999. It was $3 and at the time, Jon Brion hadn't emerged as the in-demand renaissance man just yet. But I did notice his name and how young (he was 19) he looked on the back of the sleeve, and figured it would be an interesting Sunday afternoon listen. Like most power pop, the lyrics are pretty disposable, but like most power pop, that's the least of your concerns.

I apologize for the bad rip here, I actually combined the first two songs (there was a little instrumental lead-in that was impossible to edit) into one and some of the leads on the files are a bit shoddy, I'll get better, promise. Doesn't it seem like Material Issue made an entire career of ripping off Living In Alaska? And oh my, How Pop Can You Get, I swear, this is the stuff that bad 80s movie soundtracks were made of. American Anthem anyone? This is 1982, suburban power pop, people. Dig it.

CHAUVE-SOURIS/HOW POP CAN YOU GET?
LIVING IN ALASKA

6 comments:

Listmaker said...

i miss material issue. god bless.

Anonymous said...

Don't tell Graham. And don't tell Cortney or Jim. But if many conditions were different I would be crazily in love with you. I just love the way your mind works/writes.

On second thought, Cortney is cool enough to get what I'm saying, you can tell her. She won't be worried I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

And p.s. how (personally) ironic is 'Living in Alaska'? Or am I stating the (personally) obvious?

Arcandy said...

Skippy! Nice, nice, nice blog! Brett alerted me to its presence. You're doing us all a great service. Just sayin'.

Arcandy said...

oh, this is Jed, by the way.

Jack said...

Thanks Jed!