Monday, May 08, 2006



THE GO-BETWEENS "Metal And Shells"
THE GO-BETWEENS "16 Lovers Lane"

Something woke me up this past Saturday night at 4AM. I am definitely a light sleeper, but it's pretty rare for me to wake up, lucid, in the middle of the night, and especially after partying the night before. I headed straight to my computer, hopefully to lullaby myself back to sleep by reading banal news stories. Within 2 or 3 clicks, however, I'd stumbled on the news. Grant McLennan of the Go-Betweens was dead at 48. I was very shocked as I'm sure everyone who Grant has ever touched is right now.

I remembered the first time I'd ever heard or seen the band, they played the video for "That Way" on 120 Minutes. I pretty much absorbed nearly anything that show played in 1985 and 1986 and anything WHTG or WLIR would play as well, but the Go-Betweens really stuck with me. I headed straight for Music In A Different Kitchen in New Brunswick to find the recently released compilation "Metal And Shells". I think I paid $9.99 for it, I ripped the sticker off and don't know for sure, but however much I paid, it was worth it. I lost this album and replaced it in the last few years, several times. I may have three copies.

I remembered the time a few years later, I started working as a college rep for Capitol and got to hang out backstage with the Go-Betweens when they played Metro in Chicago on the 16 Lovers Lane tour. They were so sweet, so humble, so celebratory, and charming. I think I thought all rock stars needed to be distant and unapproachable at that point. I was so happy to find out that wasn't true. 16 Lovers Lane became my soundtrack that year, I was sad to find out they were calling it quits soon after.

I remembered finding out that Grant and Robert were re-uniting the Go-Betweens in 1998 and recording a new album. I remember driving on a weeknight from Westchester County, 3 hours each way to Providence to see them in front of 40 people on the Friends Of Rachel Worth dates and three days later at packed Fez in NYC. I floated on McLennan-Forster melodies all that week, I can't remember how happy I was, but I'm positive it was the happiest I'd been since moving back to NYC from Chicago.

I knew this would happen, I'd stray from the formula of old ripped vinyl (and it only took like 4 posts!). That's okay, it will happen from time to time, but hopefully not that often, especially under these circumstances. I know "That Way" (see below) is a Robert song, but it was my introduction to the band. I will always remember Grant McLennan and the absolute joy his songs have brought to my life. See if you can listen to "A Quiet Heart" and scan the tributes on the Go-Betweens message board without crying your eyes out. Songs like "Right Here" and "Bachelor Kisses" have accented nearly every significant moment of my life. Like I could actually not put a Go-Betweens song on a mixtape everytime I'd meet a nice girl....

Grant, rest in peace, we will miss you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. You've given more than you'll ever know.

The Go-Betweens THAT WAY
The Go-Betweens QUIET HEART

Also, here's the video for "Right Here":

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Skippy,

What shocking news! I saw the 16 Lovers tour soon after moving to Denver-Boulder (flogging "product"for Sony/CBS) in early 1989.

The Capitol rep invited me and my good friend Jayne to
meet the band after the show. The show itself was amazing. I vividly recall going crazy when I heard "Spring Rain" and "Right Here" live for the first time.
I remember talking to Grant about Townes Van Zant and Guy Clark. Oddly enough, the Go-Betweens never played Austin pre 16 Lover days. They were to play in Austin the following week, so Grant was asking me all kinds of questions about what kind of crowd they could expect. Little did he know that the band had a modest, yet rabid fan base thanks to the unwavering support of
Waterloo and Sound Exchange. I suggested that he visit Waterloo to pick-up the otherwise difficult to find records of Clark, Van Zant, Terry Allen, and Butch Hancock.

Unsure if he ever took my advice, but am VERY sure that
their Austin show inspired many!

pkm