Wednesday, September 06, 2006


CHARLOTTE GAINSBOURG "5:55"

That was a long break. I took a much needed vacation. It involved sand, the ocean, many bowls of chowdah, visiting old haunts, and lots of soul searching. I've come back much more relaxed, that is, until I get that first case of sidewalk rage.

To keep me relaxed, I'll be spinning Charlotte Gainsbourg's gorgeous new album once a day. I didn't think I'd be mentioning Charlotte twice in the infancy of this blog, but there you go. I don't know why I was so surprised when I first heard "5:55" and fell madly in love with it. It's not like she's the offspring of a Hilton or something. She also has a new movie coming out, the Michel Gondry directed "The Science Of Sleep", which steals a page out of Sofia Coppola's book, judging from the trailer (read: 24-40 year olds who think Lost In Translation is the best thing since Hello Kitty sake will rush out to see it).

Back to 5:55. Contributions from Air and Jarvis Cocker really make the difference on 5:55, gorgeous and lush strings, see-saw pianos, and of course, Ms. Gainsbourg's breathy and soulful vocals, all add up to yumminess. She certainly has better pipes than her mother (Jane Birkin) and the whole album has more glue than say, the later day Serge records, which seemed to waltz from style to style.

"The Songs That We Sing" will make your day. "AF607105" will make you find the purchase link and buy it.

THE SONGS THAT WE SING
AF607105

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Twill listen with interest

Anonymous said...

Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Anyone seen The Cement Garden? Or read it?

Jack said...

Crap! Liz! My apologies for stealing your thunder. I just read your blog and had no idea you'd posted that. I promise to be more original tomorrow morning.

Anonymous said...

wow, this is really lovely. i'm glad it's getting the attention it deserves. thanks for the songs.

good to have you back blogging. hope all is well.

Anonymous said...

Great song, reminds me a lot of Tory Amos, The Cardigans, Frente and The Spooks. I think it should have more climex, i.e. softer introduction (maybe the xylophone rif on its own)growing little by little to a strong ending, especially due to its litterative manner.
Also the strings arrangement should be more dynamic, no offence but it's sounds to me like one phrase copy-pasted to other parts of the song.

Nir, Israel.