Monday, September 25, 2006


IAN LOVE "Ian Love"

You're lucky if you don't have a voracious appetite for new music. Really, I envy you. I mean, you read blogs (I caught you), but my guess there are few of us out there who really consume this stuff. Like, actually listening to several dozen records a week. For regular journalists, it may even be easier, you get assigned a record to listen to, you review it. Simple. For people like us, we seek out good music, all day, all night, it's an obsession.

I'm glad I discovered Ian Love. It's that good kind of discovery too. Like, when someone whispers his name in your ear and you forget about it. Then you start MySpacing bands and you find him on your own, but then forget again. Then he plays a show and you catch his set and you're like, "IAN LOVE!". Ian was known for his band Rival Schools and sometimes plays in the sometimes band that Gabby from Luscious Jackson started post Grand Royal fizzle out. He mines that sometimes sad, sometimes bouncy Rufus Wainwright territory, maybe a bit more indie rock, keeping it simple and soulful.

His self-titled record is self-released. Selfishly, I don't want to tell you about it because it's quite lovely. I haven't always been kind to singer/songwriters, but then again, my guess is that most singer/songwriters who are labelled that, aren't so happy about it either. So let's not call him that. Let's say, "Sky To Fall" will melt your heart and catch you by surprise. Then find it on iTunes or buy the cd.

SKY TO FALL

No comments: