Tuesday, September 19, 2006


THE GLOVE "Blue Sunshine"

I so remember when we would obsess about side projects. There was something so "in the know" about them, like, even if you were a fan of a band like Depeche Mode, whose stock was increasing on the way to selling out the Rose Bowl, not many people owned the 12 inch by the Assembly or even Martin Gore's covers EP (covering Tuxedomoon even!). That made you cool. Ahem.

Goths in my town when batshit when they found out there was a Steven Severin (Siouxsie & The Banshees) and Robert Smith (The Cure) secret album called The Glove. I can see the pile of "gothy" cassettes right now. Clan Of Xymox's Medusa, Peter Murphy's Love Hysteria, The Glove's Blue Sunshine, so weird, I can see this pile in my old bedroom by the 13 inch B&W TV I had in there. Gay.

OK, anyway, the rumor was that Robert Smith sung every song but they sped up his voice. No. Steven's ladyfriend, Landray, handled half the vocals, Robert, in real time, the other half. They had to keep it secret because The Cure were, of course, under contract to a big label. Does that even happen anymore? We just end up with the Ranconteurs I guess. Some of "Blue Sunshine" holds up pretty well, some not so much. I always loved "Perfect Murder". Recently, the entire thing was re-issued with a bonus disc of Robert singing pretty much everything. Nice. Closet goths, apply that sex eye make up and get ready for a night dancing at the Limelight....

PERFECT MURDER

No comments: