Tuesday, September 26, 2006


NOVILLERO "Aim Right For The Holes In Their Lives"

I dialed up "The Matador" last night on the "on demand" action. I remember seeing the trailers last year and immediately feeling like I needed to actually get myself to a theatre to see it. Pierce Brosnan, say what you will, I think he's pretty cool. Well, I missed the boat, that is, until last night. It was pretty great, I highly recommend it. All of this has nothing to do with a little band from Winnipeg called Novillero. But since you know that a "novillero" is a bullfighter, you can give me a little liberty here and gush in amazement that I tied that all in.

Before I even heard a recorded note, I was caught off-guard by Novillero at a Mint Records' CMJ night (last year or the year before, but because I am getting old, you tell me). Well-dressed, ebullient, harmonies all over the place and tight like a 14 year old female Olympic gymnast doing the floor exercise (I know that was awful but it really actually was the first thing I thought of, please don't arrest me), this Canadian quintet slayed the place. I don't think CB's Gallery knew what hit them, really.

A few songs stuck with me that night. Upon listening to the album, their second, it was obvious which ones those were. Stylistically, they aren't all over the map, but I can't pinpoint what map they are using. It's soulful garage rock, sure, but I hear some Inspiral Carpets, The Fall, Style Council, piano-driven punk. It's fun. They even have their own version of "Bez" from Happy Mondays, a backup singer who shakes the tambourine and dances up a storm.

In another solar system, "The Hypothesist" would be a monster hit. It sucks you in from the first cocksure piano riff and handclaps and, I swear, I've never played "air trumpet" before, but see if you can't help it by the time everything kicks in. "Abbey" is jumpy indiepop, infectious and celebratory, you'll certainly be singing "how can you lose something you never had to begin" over and over in your head. Novillero plays in Brooklyn, twice, at Union Hall, first on October 7 and again during Mint Records' CMJ night on November 2 with Immaculate Machine, The Awkward Stage, and Bicycles. Don't miss the boat, because, unlike "movies on demand", these kids might just go hibernate up in Manitoba and never come back.

ABBEY
THE HYPOTHESIST

BONUS ACTION: Novillero at SXSW this year covering Hall & Oates "Maneater". I told you they were fun:


1 comment:

Jack said...

UPDATE: Novillero cancelled, but rescheduled for CMJ week, November 2 for a Mint Records' party.