Wednesday, July 19, 2006


DAVID GATES "First"

Bare with me here. I need 8 minutes and 54 seconds of your undivided attention. This isn't one of those blogs where you scan to see which free mp3s you can add to your massive iTunes library. Nuh uh. New Thom Yorke files not here, thanks for looking.

It's been noted that I'm a big 70s soft rock (rhymes with pussy here). What really gets my bumps all goosey though is the marriage of analogue instruments with fake ones. Anytime I hear an upright clumsy piano with faux strings, a real violin with bleeping Moogs, I get absolutely crazy. Enter Mr. David Gates, leader of Yacht Rock favorites, Bread. If, Baby I'm A Want You, Make It With You (my theme song), you know the drill. He did the ballads good. You either think he's a legit influence on Josh Rouse or Kings of Convenience or you don't, I guess.

This is what happens next. If you are at work, go grab some headphones. If you are at home, go grab some headphones. Whatever you were doing, stop it. Plug in, download this track, and do NOT do anything else for nearly 9 minutes. Listen. Trust me on this one. It's hot out there, take a time out. Listen to the sound effects, the wind rushing by, the soaring strings (real or otherwise), the pleasant croon of David's voice. Wait for the song to take many detours, off ramps to Prettytown. Don't give up on it, just listen.

And get back to me.

SUITE: CLOUDS, RAIN

1 comment:

djpMusic said...

Jack, I'd love to try this out, but I cannot download the song. Is there a way to get authorized for March Records? I am really into this type of music, and would love to hear what you are talking about. From my own experience, it sound a lot like some of the tracks from Thomas Dolby's The Flat Earth, which is one of my personal favorites.