Wednesday, July 05, 2006


THE LUCY SHOW "Extended Play EP"

That was a long bender I just came off of. It won't happen again, promise. When they (the man) stick 4th of July on a Tuesday, however, what else can you do but drink and eat for a week straight?

When I really think about it, it amazes me that MTV had any influence on me at all. Seriously. When 120 Minutes debuted, though, it was absolutely wonderful. They played indie bands. Can you even imagine? J.J. Jackson, Kevin Seal, and even Dave Kendall hosted the show which debuted in 1986, good timing as it coincided with my junior and senior years of high school. Did I mention they played indie bands? They essentially took a peek at the CMJ top 10 and played videos from those bands as well as a smattering of other stuff. But think about it, bands like Jazz Butcher, Railway Children, Felt, and Let's Active all were shown on this show.

One band I instantly fell in love with was the Lucy Show. Their video for "A Million Things" hit all the right notes for me. Mark Bandola looked like a flailing marionette in the video, romping from room to room in a submarine. It only took that one song to know I needed more.

Extended Play came after a couple of singles. They'd already signed to A&M, but needed another EP for indie sake, I suppose. It's not nearly my favorite, but kinda hard to find, and worth listening to. Their entire catalogue, actually, has been, or was, impossible to find. The small indie, Words On Music, though, just re-issued Mania, their second album, on cd. Read all about it and buy it here. Still, now they need to re-issue, the first LP, Undone, and all the singles....

I'll have some really fun stuff coming up, I need to rip more vinyl. I've also decided that while my blog was intended to be for the purpose of making me transfer my albums to my iTunes library, I'm just going to post what I want, when I want. Don't tell me I can't. It'll be 95% a music blog, though. See you tomorrow, really.

RESISTANCE
THE PRICE OF LOVE

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember The Cutting Edge with host Peter Zaremba?
Now THAT was entertainment!

HK said...

yay! awesome. there's a snippet of the video for "a million things" over at video-c. i've been meaning to get the reissue of Mania anyway, and now i see that they've included the video for "a million things" on there!