Friday, July 21, 2006


LEARN TO RELAX: Summer's Halfway Point 2006 mp3 mixtape

All of a sudden, July is almost gone. I'm not trying to depress you, seriously, it's just a fact. For the most part, it's been a mild summer in the city, though my Texan refugee friends wouldn't agree. In what I'm hoping is a regular, every 6 to 8 week thing (I guess that's not regular), I'm making a mix of really wonderful new and forthcoming music for you. Because that's what I do (see Summer Skewers). They have words for people like me. Maven. Tastemaker. You can call me Hot Chip.

Enough self congratulations, really, this mix flows very nicely and I'm hoping you'll download it today, slap it on to a cd or a folder on your iPod, and spend the weekend with it. Maybe you'll find some beach time, maybe you'll be drinking Tecate in cans on a rooftop. But this mix should get you through the midsummer doledrums.

I'm really anxious to share some amazing new tracks from Ben Kweller, Sleepy Jackson, and The Tyde. NYC bands you absolutely should know about: Rosewood Thieves, The Isles, French Kicks, and Death Vessel, all contribute fantastic melodies. New electronic yumminess from Hot Chip, Peaches and Small Sins. Thanks to Lizzy for the leadoff track, a hot jam from Gotye, that will get you to learn to relax. Really will. Wow, that Divine Comedy song sounds like a dead ringer for 10cc's "Life Is A Minestrone", no? Brothers And Sisters from Austin, you are my new favorite band, I just want more! Wait, no, you'll have to share the title with Midlake.

Please send some feedback this way so to make sure you all are enjoying your new mixtape. I'm pretty proud of how it flows, did I mention that already? I've ZIPped it so you have to grab the whole enchilada and as always, this thing will only be up for a few days, so grab it while you can. Here's to not letting the rest of the summer go to waste. Even if it's a moment's peace while the sun is beaming down on your face.

LEARN TO RELAX, LET THE MUSIC CARESS YOU

No comments: