Monday, June 05, 2006


SUMMER SKEWERS: a summer 2006 mp3 mixtape

Tomorrow, things will be back to normal. However, today, I have a special treat for you. I've decided it's acceptable to stray from the formula of Little Elpees once and a while. It's hard work ripping vinyl to mp3. Not only that, sometimes I feel like listening to music made, like, this year. So, in honor of hot summer nights, pomegranate margaritas, and hours slaving at my 22 1/2 inch Weber grill (her name is Milly), may I present to you, a foxy blend of new or upcoming releases, Summer Skewers.

I won't come right out and say that I adore each and every track. New music multiplies like bunny rabbits around here and I just feel like sharing. You be the critics. I will say that I'm a big dumb sucker for the overproduced power pop represented here by The Feeling. If by the middle of August, "Love It When You Call" isn't an enormous hit, something went horribly wrong. I also obsess about the Phoenix track and am really eager to share new discoveries like Silver Lakes, Eighteenth Day Of May, and Oohlas. Also, indie rock hall of famers Sonic Youth and Yo La Tengo make nice showings with new songs here. There's 21 newfangled tracks in all.

I hope you like, feel free to comment here about your favorites. This will only be up for a very limited time, so grab the tracks while you can. I can't say enough how important it is for us all to be better patrons of the arts, as well, so if you like something on here, spring for the cd or iTunes or something. It's good for your soul.

EAT SOME SUMMER SKEWERS

3 comments:

Jack said...

What's your favorite?

Jack said...

Oh shoot, I meant to make special notice about Sky Drops. If anyone remembers Smashing Orange, I think it's Rob's newest musical thing. I know, like 13 years later, but there you go...

Anonymous said...

I'm going to visit my folks this coming weekend. I can't wait to listen to these tracks on the plane!