Sunday, June 25, 2006



BARBARA MORGENSTERN "The Grass Is Always Greener"
HOT CHIP "The Warning"

Hey, a Sunday special! I don't normally post on weekends, but it's been a pretty dismal weekend in Brooklyn. Not much to do except drink, eat, and listen to new music.

I love the new trend in electronic pop. Well, that anyone cares about music made with Juno 106s, that's the part I love. I get goosebumps when I hear sequencers and blips and bleeps. Sad, but true. I think it comes from hearing that opening song from The Human League's Dare when I was 12. Those sliding heavy synths just floored me. Still do.

Here are two tracks from new releases you should know about. Barbara Morgenstern is on the fabulous Monika label and remixes others as well as dishes up some fabulous German new wave. Hot Chip are a trendy UK band but won't be quite as big as Bloc Party or Keane for the obvious reason that they rely heavily on smarmy electronics. Dig them both and pray for sun in the 718.

Barbara Morgenstern THE OPERATOR
Hot Chip COLOURS

No comments: