Wednesday, June 14, 2006


THE POSIES "Feel" b/w "I Am The Cosmos"

I was reading the other day that a Big Star tribute that's been in the works for many years, featuring Wilco, Juliana Hatfield, etc. is finally coming out. I pretty much thought there were at least 20 such tributes in existence already. Look, I love Big Star, like, a lot, and I get it, they were vastly underrated, but enough is enough. I dig the Posies, too, who are sadly likely to suffer the same fate, though their catalogue is a bit more spotty. And I get it, the Posies love Big Star, too. Awesome. Now I see why bands sometimes don't want to contribute to tributes. You get known for it.

Even with that rant though, the tracklisting does look awesome, so I'll be even a little curious to hear it. In fact, this is probably the one to own I guess. And you do have to credit the Posies for shining the spotlight on Chilton & Bell when no one seemed to care or remember. They even went so far as to inject themselves into Big Star by playing as Alex Chilton's backing band for a series of live shows. It's just too bad Chris Bell couldn't be there. I'm in the minority by saying the #1 album is the best. There's something about the sadness in Chris Bell's lyrics and melodies that I prefer, that gives me goosebumps. Pick up the collection on Ryko to see what I mean. If you can get past "You And Your Sister" without crying, you are soulless.

The Posies released this 7 inch on Popllama sometime in 1993(?), I grabbed it from the defunct local Chicago record shop, Blackout (Hi Jillian), for $3.49. This may have started the wave of adoration towards Big Star, I can't pinpoint the month or year when it seemed everyone was talking about them again. And I can't keep track of how many Chilton/Bell compositions the Posies have recorded over the years, but neither of these make a showing on the aforementioned tribute. For all I know, they are only available on this single.

FEEL
I AM THE COSMOS

2 comments:

Listmaker said...

i'm curious to hear just how bad the latest big star album is.

i didn't even care about the 93 reunion. chilton's older sounding voice just didn't cut it for me even back then. give me the originals or nothing.

you and your sister is sublime.

Jack said...

I only heard "Dony" from the latest Big Star and it made me sad. Not much magic there.