Thursday, June 01, 2006


Various Artists "Alvin Lives (In Leeds)"

Volume 3 of, and say it with me in the monster truck pull voice, people: "GREAT COMP-ILATIONS!". Today's compilation kicks some serious ass, really. Not unlike Sgt. Pepper Knew My Father and from nearly the same era, Alvin Lives In Leeds was a benefit of some sort. Since I don't live in England, nor plan to, someone can fill me in on what the Anti Poll Tax issue was or the Can't Pay-Won't Pay Resource Unit.

Gushing with hot shit Brit bands of 1990, Alvin Lives features crazy covers of AM radio hits of the 70s. It's a fun collection even though there's some real stinkers included. And from bands I adore! Lush fares the best with their version "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep", written by an Italian, but a one hit wonderland for obscure Scots "Middle Of The Road". If someone has the original mp3 of this, send one this way, please? Cud stumble with Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" though give them credit for covering it before the likes of the Flaming Lips. Robyn Hitchcock's "Kung Fu Fighting" is ridiculous.

But back to the whole album, taken as a whole that is, it's fun, really. One of my absolute favorite groups, the criminally underrated (see Triffids), Close Lobsters, tackle the sublime-on-the-right-day "Float On" by lost Detroit soul group, The Floaters. It's not soulful, quite the opposite, but it's hilarious. See if you can't make a mixtape this summer without including 14 Iced Bears' version of "Summer Nights" from Grease. Finally, The Wedding Present, who have whored themselves out to tributes and cover albums more than R.E.M. and Sonic Youth combined, contribute the UK favorite "Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me)" not to be confused with Chicago's Make Me Smile.

Alvin Lives In Leeds is one of those albums that, when I see it, I buy it. I give it to friends. The one I have came from Reckless in Chicago, price: $1.99. I'd recommend it if you want a goofy snapshot of that shoegazy scene from 1990. At least it looks good in your collection.

Close Lobsters FLOAT ON
14 Iced Bears SUMMER NIGHTS
The Wedding Present MAKE ME SMILE (COME UP AND SEE ME)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found lush's chirpy chirpy here: http://www.ezarchive.com/abramson/AlbumSpace/H991VP9P6/Lush+-+Chirpy+Chirpy+chirpy+cheep+cheep.mp3