Wednesday, June 07, 2006


GEORGE JONES "Country Heart"

This is a first for me. I'm trying this after a long night of drinkin'. No, really, I know it's hard to believe. My softball team was on the wrong end of a 11-0 shutout, so we were cryin' in our beers. Dos Equis Green actually, mmmm.

I've credited several people, sources, and places for my discovery of music, new, old, borrowed, blue, whatever. Like a sober person could write that last sentence. Impressionnant! Let's chalk this one up to the jukebox at Great Jones Cafe, the one place in the whole world I feel perfectly at home and safe. A proto post-punk at heart, an omnivore in spirit, I had no clue on what it felt like to be truly touched by country music till a late night drinking vodka lemonades at the Jones. When you come up through the ranks of the Smiths or New Order, it's hard to fathom the day that "She Still Thinks I Care" or "Your Cheatin' Heart" really hits home. Get your heart broken, see if you turn to the Cure or Willie Nelson. Seriously.

The one thing that most or at least some modern music seems to be lacking is soul. Not soul in a Motown way, but a soulful honesty in the lyrics. Sincerity is arbitrary I guess, but I think you can tell when someone is flooring you with cliches or failing to impress you with forced poetry. When George Jones sings "you've got me buffaloed into your ways of thinkin'", I believe him. Plus, I give him double extra credit for coming up with a totally boss saying that I think I'm going to use from here on out. Buffaloed. Awesome.

I bought this, not kidding, at the PS 321 flea market in Park Slope a few weeks ago. I really wanted some George Jones on vinyl and this is a pretty cool double elpee on Musicor which I've found is not terribly easy to get. Good for me. When you are listening, really pay attention to the words, the simple and sweet. It makes you realize that, in songwriting, everything has already been said, new bands just twist the words around and fancy them up. Sorry about any run-ons, I can't imagine when I read this in the morning it'll make any sense. I don't care. There's no desert too barren to cross.

I'M WASTING GOOD PAPER
SHIP OF LOVE
FOUR-O-THIRTY THREE
TAKE ME

No comments: